Friday 18 March 2022

A Killing in November - Simon Mason

Simon Mason is well known for his compelling books for children and young adults. I knew I would be in good hands when I received this copy about this police procedural, set in Oxford. Besides, when I learnt that it had already made it to the Sunday Times Crime book of the month, it definitely raised my expectations about the novel. I was so glad when it delivered and turned to be a highly enjoyable reading experience.

Gist:

A woman's body is found in the college head's house and the police are called in to investigate. There is no explanation about the identity of the woman or how she ended up there. DI Ryan Wilkins turns up first only to realise that he was mistaken as he shares the same last name DI R Wilkins called Ray. Oxford educated Ray has to work alongside a rule-breaking Ryan to piece together the identity of the woman before they move to zero in on the killer.

My review:
  • What instantly struck me about the book is the sense of place. I love reading stories set in Oxford and Inspector Morse is a firm favourite. Yet this one is markedly different in terms of its approach and the way the detective duo is portrayed. Seeing as it has the potential to be a series, it offers a great starting point with loads of potential.
  • Ryan and Ray are brilliantly plotted characters who add a whole new dimension to the story. Mason weaves their stories alongside case developments so seamlessly that it feels like we are reading two different threads at once. It makes for a very strong plot and a layered reading experience for the reader.
  • Yet another thing that really worked for me was how it reflected the contemporary society by incorporating funding, refugee crisis in the plot. It felt topical and a sign of the times and that for me enhanced the reading experience.
  • The writing is fast paced and full of action such that it feels like the reader is on a roller coaster as events quickly move towards the resolution. 

Finally a compelling read about a detective duo I am keen to know more about by a seasoned writer who crafts a cracking read. 

I am already hoping it is the start of a series and look forward to the next one.  Highly recommended

Disclaimer:  Thanks to the publisher for this copy in return for an honest review.
 
A Killing in November is published by Riverrun and is available to buy from your favourite bookshop.  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment