Wednesday 29 October 2014

Blame storming: Why conversations go wrong and how to fix them - Rob Kendall

courtesy:rob kendall.co.uk
A simple and effective way of studying communication in conversations.

I have to admit, after reading thriller and fiction genre for a while, reviewing a non fiction felt a bit like a challenge. However, I was glad to discover that I enjoyed reading it. There is something easygoing and pleasant about the book. I found it to be a great experience and ahem, picked up some tips as well.

Gist:

We humans are a talkative race, our relationships are based on two way communication, be it verbal or non verbal. Communication occurs at various levels, in society. Language and communication therefore are crucial to any and every part of society.

However, more often than not, instead of using this important tool to our advantage, we end up abusing or worse, misusing it. We say something when we mean quite the other, a classic recipe for arguments, accusations and what not.

What works:
  • It is very easy to read. There are no heavy jargons or technicalities to put you off. The book speaks to you in a easy, friendly way. 
  • The examples are all simulated situations between characters. A handy tool to explain a point instead of long meandering paragraphs.
  • The topics are short and effective and the points are relevant. I found myself relating to many of the mistakes I tend to make. Obviously the author knows his stuff.
  • The book highlights clearly and cleverly the several pitfalls of letting emotions dictate sentences.
What doesn't :
  • Hard to say. I found myself dipping into it occasionally, often going back to remind myself of something. However, I am not sure how it will be if you read in one go. Perhaps, it can be a bit tedious. 

In a nutshell, it is a great read. For those of us, who feel we are great communicators but wonder what we said wrong, this book can come handy. It offers insight and tips to avoid pitfalls and improve verbal skills. An excellent aid for communication workshops or for readers with an interest in language and communication.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment