Sunday 5 March 2023

Wrong Place Wrong Time - Gillian McAllister

 I had heard lots of great things about this book and was intrigued. I had never read Gillian Mcallister before and was keen to discover this writer who was local to me. So happy when I finally managed to pick up a copy and what a treat it was.

Gist:

One Halloween night a mother looks out of the window, waiting for her teenage son. She sees him come up the drive but then right in front of her eyes, she sees a murder happen. She knows what she has seen, and wakes up the next day which is the day before, only this time she knews what is going to happen. 

How do you stop a murder once it has happened? 

My Review: 

This one really blew my mind. The premise did sound a bit ambitious and I was not sure what to expect, but the way Mcallister unfolds the story and takes us back and forth, I enjoyed every bit of the ride. Twitter which is my primary source of book recommendations was raving about this one, and I was a bit cautious. Especially in crime thriller genre, the premise is very unusual and shocking and then once you get past the shock factor, the story fails to live up to the build of  the premise. 

This is not the case here at all. As a reader I was cautiously waiting to see how the story panned out, it is a tough one to pull off and I marvelled at the way the reader is taking through the story in a reverse narrative, each scene revealing the past at the same time taking the story forward.

The story is so smoothly told that the reader feels well placed with as layers are revealed with some well defined characters in the story.

A great read. I picked this one up from the library and just saw the paperback is out. I am going to get a copy for myself now!

No comments:

Post a Comment