Tuesday 21 March 2023

This is How You Fall in Love - Anika Hussain

enjoyed this rom-com where the protagonist is a South Asian, since such characters not often seen in this genre. The characters are well drawn and I loved getting to know Zara and Adnan and enjoyed reading about their camaraderie and the confusion that gets the plot going.

Hussain has a good grasp of the young adult mind and their dilemmas. She skilfully balances the idiosyncrasy of the families and the peer pressures, in How to Fall in Love. I found it to be a good balance of a well told story with some great characters and themes.

Zara and Adnan have known each practically all their life and it is a given for their friends and families that they will get together. However, Zara and Adnan don't feel that way. And then when Zara steps in to help Adnan out of a small fix, they don't realise that things may quickly spin out of control which can create complications not only for them but also for those they love!

The narrative style especially the use of text messages is employed well and I enjoyed racing through the story to find out "will they, won't they".

An enjoyable read. My teenage daughter and I read it together and had a great time talking about the book. I am already making plans to buy more copies for some YA readers I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment