Tuesday 17 January 2023

The Blue Bar - Damyanti Biswas

I enjoyed reading this book and yet I struggled to come up with this review. Found it to be such an great read and was acutely conscious of articulating my reading experience well. It took me a while to get into the story but once I was firmly ensconced in that world of gritty, understaffed world of the justice system, I was caught in by how the story moved and turned as events unfolded and lead to an action packed climax.

Gist:

Tara, a bar dancer in Bombay is waiting at the Borivalli station in exchange for a hefty payout. Little does she realise that this outing will change her life forever.

Thirteen years on, her boyfriend, InspectorArnav Singh Rajput is still struggling with her disappearance. But then there is something else that demands his attention. Bodies of women are surfacing in different parts of the city and soon Arnav gets caught up in it. A serial killer seems to be on prowl and Arnav must act fast if he wants to save loved ones from falling victim to his antics.

My review:

I enjoyed this book and here's why:

  • The initial chapters took me straight to Bombay and I found myself hearing and breathing the city as I turned the pages.
  • Tara and Arnav are relatable characters , Biswas makes them very accessible and the reader feels a kind of kinship for these people caught in complicated situations.
  • The story is a bit of a slow burn. It  takes time to get into the world, to immerse oneself into the lives of the characters. But then, it is a complicated world where passion coexists with bureaucracy, evil and distorted mindsets. The story is well layered, narrating a tale of crime, passion in contemporary Indian society, within a framework that is entertaining and offers insight at the same time.
  • I see it as a novel that engages and educates the reader about a certain section of the society, not often seen in fiction. Corruption of power is a conventional theme, but in Biswas' hands it is delivered it in a manner that tugs at heart strings. 
  • And this element of realism continues till the very end, which I think is commendable. Biswas could have easily turned it around into a palatable, neat conclusion but the fact that she doesn't, makes it all the more compelling.
  • It is a slowburn read but once the story takes off, the reader is on a rollercoaster ride following Tara and Arnav, trying to work out the mystery in the story. The twist was unexpected, and I got that feeling of being hoodwinked, which bears testimony to Biswas' control over the craft. 

Overall, recommended for crime thriller lovers who dare to pick up something different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment