Friday 1 July 2022

Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy by Rey Tercerio

A modern retelling of a well loved childhood story. I picked this up for my daughter, but ended up reading it myself. These four girls were my companions growing up and so it was interesting to see how they would have fared in this centure. 

Gist:

Meg,
Jo, Beth and Amy are the four March sisters living with their mother while their father is way at war. All four of them have their own personas and it is fascinating as they get through life, making friendships along the way (with their neighbour Laurie) and as they grow older and discover their own way in life. 

My review:

  • I loved how the story is so well modernised. Just like the original version, the story tracks the lives of these four sisters over a year. It marks their trials and tribulations and how they emerge stronger than ever.
  • Perhaps because I had read the story before I could see where the changes had been made which made for a fascinating read. But then even those approaching this story for the first time will love it and will want to revisit the older version of it.
  • I don't usually read comic novels but I enjoyed this one. The modern retelling along with the graphic novel presentation did enhance my reading experience.
  • It was heartening to see how the old story has not been copied instead adapted to suit the modern age themes of mixed race marriages, gender issues and feminism. Also there is a twist to a major plot point which I don't want to spoil. It made me feel so happy to discover how the writer had used it to reflect contemporary society.
  • This is a feel good book suitable for 12+ . I have already ordered copies to gift and I know it  will be loved as much as I did!
       

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment