Saturday 1 August 2015

Myth=Mithya Hindu Mythology Decoded by Devadutt Pattanaik

goodreads.com
A book that encapsulates all the Amar Chitra Kathas(ACK)  I have read in my childhood.

I love ACK. I think they are the most fascinating books for kids and provide a great introduction to Indian mythology. I am trying to get my daughter interested in these books. I really hope she too will be enamoured by the illustrations, and learn to love them.

Gist:

The books touches upon the various gods and goddesses that form the Indian mythology and also the religious texts. It has a very interesting structure as it talks about the various practices and beliefs and connects the stories to mythological characters.

What works:
  • Everything. Pattanaik has done his research well as he touches upon the cultural beliefs of various communities in India. He is obviously well read and does a very skillful attempt at amalgamating all in the text.
  • The points discussed are most complex in theological and spiritual aspects but the text is engaging and the language simple. A delight to go through it.  
  • As the author himself says, that you can dip in and out without reading in a linear fashion. This in turn offers great flexibility to the reader to grasp the various aspects and revisit them whenever they wish.
  • The illustrations add to the value of the text and add to the clarity offered by the narrative.
  • The structure is well very constructed. It flows well and the matter discussed is clear and concise.
  • I take pride in the fact that I know my indian mythology but reading this book left me a bit more enlightened than before and enriched my understanding of it.
What doesn't:
  • I love this book because I am interested in Indian mythology. For a person not so keen, I am not sure enjoyable the book will be.
A great read for anyone interested in Indian mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment